Saturday 27 September 2014

Doctor Who - Signs and Wonders

The Hex story arc is probably the longest story arc that has ever been attempted at since Doctor Who began. We met his mother in the first release of the Project Trilogy, and then we met him in The Harvest. Since he joined The Doctor he has been a fan favourite within the Big Finish listener community, played always superbly. However his time has come to end now culminating in this final Hector trilogy where in Signs and Wonders we wave bye to him and a whole era of Doctor Who. Big Finish will never be the same again...

I love the premise of Signs of Wonders. This end of the world/alien invasion set up is done very well here. It feels epic. Which it should as this is the end of an era. We return to Liverpool one last time where Ace tries for the final time to help Hector rediscover his true identity as Hex. Despite even his dead grandparents’ house and all of his childhood memories, Ace is unable to rediscover Hex (this is confusing I realise, Big Finish have set up a massive arc and really you do need to listen to a lot of it in order to discover what is truly going on - 'Gods and Monsters' and 'Afterlife' are essential listens (or at least an understanding of) before you can understand what is really going on in concern with Hector/Hex). Even if you do not get the arc, as I said the whole premise and the first three parts are sensational.

It is the return of another great character in my opinion - Sally Morgan - which helps to save Hex. It is brilliant to see this character return again, she has been a brilliant addition to Doctor Who, but it is a shame that this is probably her last story (as I said an end of an era).

Another point I have to say the cover on the front of the CD case is probably my all-time favourite one that Big Finish have ever done, well done to whoever designed and produced the art for this story.

My only problem with this story is that I think when we get to Part Four the story (which has been brilliant up till this point) gets a little confusing, which is a shame. However that is likely me not paying enough attention and maybe on a relisten I may understand exactly what is going on and love this story even more.

Personally the Big Finish main range this year has been very lackluster, a couple of good stories, many lackluster, a couple (Brood of Erys, Masquerade) which I have thought to be awful. I always look forward to the Seventh Doctor trilogies in the main range as they are personally always the best, I just prefer this style of the show over the other two versions seen in the main range. This story is the best release of the year so far and I hope the forthcoming sixth doctor trilogy will continue in this stories footsteps.

This is the end but the moment has been prepared for. I am looking forward to seeing where Big Finish go now following the end of Hex. Personally I believe Love and War probably happens next, I feel like Ace from here feels ready to go into Love and War now. But only time will tell...

9/10